Monday, June 22, 2015

For the cutest little niece in the world :-)

Imagine me hopping up and down and clapping my hands, smiling from ear to ear. I'm an auntie :-))

I had almost forgotten what it was like to hold such a teeny tiny baby, with the cutest little nose and mouth and fingers and ears and... Okay, you get the idea. Only three-and-a-half years ago, my boys were just as tiny - no wait, even a tiny little bit tinier. Now they're so grown up, telling funny stories and singing and jumping around and giving me the biggest bear hugs in the world. Three-and-a-half is a wonderful age, but holding that cute little girl brought back memories of holding my own two babies for the very first time. I nearly cried.

Of course I made something special for the newest addition to the family - tadaaaa:


When I saw the ruffled baby top in Ottobre 3/ 2015, I knew I wanted to make it for my niece. It turned out a little more difficult than I had expected - or at least the instructions were somewhat ambiguous, but luckily Heike from my favorite fabric shop Jochalu und Ellle helped me out. Thanks Heike! :-)


I hand appliquéd the zebra, using up some scraps and embroidery floss. I then tied some small strings of wool to the embroidery floss - between the base layer and the applique - and separated the plies to form a cuddly mane.


The hat pattern was - unsurprisingly - my favorite hat pattern, klimperklein's Minutenmütze. I can't even count how many of these I've sewn. And yes, even though I couldn't quite believe it when I sewed the first one, with a bit of practice it really does become a "minute hat".

The pants pattern is one I had lying around for quite a while, Miss Poppins' Spielhose Lässig (the link is for a newer version). Funny that I hadn't tried the pattern before, it's a really quick and easy project and just perfect for kids. When my boys were babies, we bought them pants like these, and they lasted for at least two sizes. I think I'll make some as pj bottoms for my boys this week. Which reminds me - it's Kid's Clothes Week again... So off to the sewing machine now... :-)

No comments: